Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mon. Jan. 25 (continued)

Apologies. Every time I try something new on the blog, I can't get back to the compose page and must start afresh.
Back at home we await the arrival of the newly employed Arpit, home for a few days before his job begins. He finally arrives from his train trip from Delhi and I am so pleased to see his broad, smiling face and slightly Asian eyes. His English has always been very good, so he gets my stupid jokes. His new job is in Gurgoan, which seems to be sucking up all the youth of Varanasi. He will be sharing a 3 bedroom apt. with 7 other Varanasi boys. They will have a cook who will prepare breakfast and dinner for them. It is very cheap to hire a cook here. JP worries it is too many people in a small apt. I say it sounds like a great adventure. All is in perception.

Tues. Jan 26

Today is Republic Day, 60 years since India won its independence from the British. There is a huge parade in Delhi, which we watched on the little used TV. The many floats are actually wonderfully done tableaus from all parts of India. Being a gardener, I was especially interested in the one showing a bamboo drip system. While I am in India, my gardening guru, Bob, is installing a drip system in my garden, which will free up 2 hours a day for me this summer. Boy, am I excited. The parade is being watched by India's female president, Pratibha Patil, and its Sikh prime minister, Man Mohan Singh. We will celebrate the day, a holiday, by going to Sarnath with the whole family. The only person missing is Anita bahoo, who has gone to her family's home 100 miles away. It has been 10 days since her sister died, and there is a 10th day ritual, ending the formal mourning period. I asked Aradhana how here cousins were doing after the death of their mother. "Crying a lot. Don't worry, Dadiji, drink your tea." Life goes on. I will report the trip to Sarnath tomorrow, as it is an important place for my Buddhist buddies in Taos. Arpit has taken lots of good pictures of Sarnath, but doesn't know how to import them. He and JP will try to figure it out later.
JP is ready for us to go back to the ghats, going left toward the main burning ghat. One week left before we head out on our own for a 3 week trip around the country.

Peace,
Nadine

No comments:

Post a Comment